01 Oct A Simple but Effective Visualisation Technique
Do you ever a mental block that stops doing something that, logically, you know you should be able to do?
Things like: putting your head under water, or driving on the motorway, or walking over bridges or performing a sporting task? The list is endless.
Very often, the problem exists because we can’t imagine ourselves doing the activity in question and therefore, in our minds, we don’t believe it’s possible. This negative belief means that we always self-sabotage our attempts, usually by panicking.
However, there’s a very simple, but highly effective visualisation technique that you can use to trick your mind into believing that you can perform the problem activity calmly and confidently.
It takes a little bit of practice, but very quickly, you’ll wonder what you were ever worried about.
- Pick a time and place when and where you won’t be disturbed
- Switch off all devices
- Sit or lie comfortably, with your full body weight, including your head, supported
- Tell yourself that you are going to slowly count down from 10 to 1 and that with each number you will feel a little more relaxed and, when you get to 1 you will feel very relaxed and completely safe and secure.
- Begin the countdown
- When you get to 1, take a few moments to embrace feelings of safety and security
- Take your time, there’s no rush
- When you’re ready, imagine that you’re sitting in front of a TV holding a remote control and that a programme is starting to play on the TV
- In the programme, imagine there is someone who looks and dresses and talks just like you.
- Imagine that the person who looks like you is behaving calmly and confidently
- Take a few moments to do this
- When you’re ready, imagine that the person who closely resembles you is about to do the activity you find difficult
- Watch carefully as the person who looks like you performs the activity in a calm and confident way
- If at any time you need to press ‘pause’ or ‘rewind’ on the remote control, do so
- When you’re ready, stop the programme and rewind to the beginning
- You can either stop now, or…
- … if you feel confident, tell yourself that you’re going to press the ‘play’ button and that this time, when the programme starts, you are going to float inside the person who looks like you and experience everything they do
- Press play, and this time, float inside the person who resembles you and allow yourself to experience everything – if at any time you need to stop, press stop
- When you’ve finished, count up from 1 to 10 and tell yourself that when you get to 10, you will be back to full conscious awareness
Remember, it takes a little bit of practice, so be patient, the results are well worth it.
If you need some help let me know